There have been rumors abounding for awhile that Dodge was working on an all-wheel drive Challenger model that would allow the Dodge Challenger to be safer for driving in the winter months, as well as in other hazardous weather conditions. Recently, the Challenger GT AWD was unveiled by Dodge in a press release that confirmed these suspicions. As the first muscle car on the market to allow for winter driving, the Dodge Challenger GT is sure to be a fierce competitor in the market.
The AWD system in the Challenger GT will be the same one used in the Charger sedan, meaning it features a front axle disconnect and active transfer case that allows the vehicle to use sensors to adapt its performance to the situation. Most of the time – in dry and safe conditions – the Dodge Challenger GT will automatically drive in rear-wheel drive for better performance, but as soon as the sensors pick up slick roads or other dangers, the car will switch over to AWD.
What’s more is that the Challenger GT AWD comes standard with a TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission that was engineered to optimize fuel economy, which is what allows the 2017 Dodge Challenger GT to achieve up to 27 mpg on the highway. Other neat features like heated and ventilated seats, LED lighting, and leather upholstery will be offered, too.
If you’re looking for a good New Year’s resolution, why not make one about your driving resolutions? You’ll be happier, safer, and less stressed by committing to any one of these New Year’s safety resolutions for drivers.
- No Cell Phone Use: We know we aren’t supposed to do it, but many of us use our phones behind the wheel anyway. Make a commitment to put down the phone and focus on the road.
- Drive the Speed Limit: Speeding may seem like a little harmless rule-breaking, but it reduces your reaction time in a potential accident and can make things worse if a crash does happen.
- Make Rules for Teenage Drivers: If you have a teenager who’s about to get their hands on a license, draw some ground rules like a curfew, limiting their allowed passengers, and no texting.
- Practice Efficient Driving Habits: See how far you can stretch a tank by researching and implementing more fuel efficient driving habits. You’ll be surprised how long you can go!
- Better Vehicle Maintenance: Everyone should keep up with their car a little more than they already do. This New Year’s, take your car to a service appointment for an inspection.
It’s good to have these New Year’s safety resolutions in mind while you’re driving in order to have a more safe and enjoyable commute every day. If you practice them long enough, they’ll become a habit, too.
The Nürburgring was recently filled with nearly 1,200 Ram pickup trucks, making it the longest parade of trucks in history.
The Nürburgring is well known to those in the auto industry, as it is often referred to as the most difficult track in the world. Used to test the standards of vehicles from around the world, his German track was recently invaded by a number of Ram pickups.
Although that might not sound noteworthy, we should be more precise. The track was filled with nearly 1,200 Ram pickups, making it the longest parade of trucks in history. According to Jalopnik, this world-record shattered previous numbers by nearly double, a feat largely made possible thanks to the 16-mile length of the treacherous Nürburgring.
Translated into English, the official page for the event read: “It was incredible on Saturday, November 5th at the Nürburgring. The old record was 638 trucks, and together with you all we have broken the Guinness World Record for the ‘Largest Parade of Pickup Trucks’ with 1,152 RAMs!”
Other records included a parade in Texas set in 2015 at 451 pickups, which was broken a few months later in Mexico with 638 trucks. The official record holder for the current title at 1,152 is AutoGlobalTrade AG and AUTEC, made even more astonishing by the fact that every model was a RAM. The brand couldn’t be more pleased its trucks were used for such an event.
There’s never a bad time to plan a trip, even during winter!
Looking to getaway this holiday season? There are several great places to visit, including those with ocean views, warm beaches, and lush golf courses. The following trip ideas are great for those who want to plan a family getaway during the winter months, as well as those looking for a more exciting way to celebrate the season.
According to Vacation Idea, one of the most popular locations in the US is a string of coastal towns on the West Coast. In particular, Carmel-by-the-Sea, Monterey, Newport Beach, and Healdsburg as great places to stop by during Christmas. Rates can be high now that many families flock this way, but you’ll be sure to enjoy the warm sun and ocean.
Make your way down to Florida. Warm weather in the Orange State is a great way to getaway. Tampa is particularly popular this time of year, as well as Sanibel Island and Naples. In terms of holiday getaway destinations, nothing tops an island retreat.
Finally, for those who can’t imagine the holidays without snow, take a trip to Manoir Hovey in Quebec. You can take a ride in a horse-drawn sleigh, roast smores, and eat at some traditional restaurants. Plus, you’ll also find wooded acres and secluded cabins that are perfect for a romantic retreat. Manoir Hovey is the ideal winter wonderland.
Have any additional ideas? Let Gossett Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram FIAT know!
Happy Thanksgiving from Gossett CJDR Fiat
Nearly half of all Americans travel at least 50 miles to attend a Thanksgiving gathering. If you’ll be hitting the road for a Thanksgiving road trip, here are a few tips to make it less stressful and hectic.
- Plan your travel time wisely. The long Thanksgiving weekend is one of the busiest travel times of the year, meaning more cars on the road. Plan to leave early in the morning so there is less traffic and so you can avoid drowsy drivers in the evening.
- Secure all cargo. Anything that isn’t properly secured in your car can become a projectile if you’re in an accident. Make sure all bags, food items, and other cargo is in the trunk and secured properly.
- Plan some in-car entertainment. If you’re travelling with kids, bring some activities to keep them entertained on the long drive, and they don’t all have to be electronic. Make sure the activities they choose aren’t too distracting for the driver.
- Don’t eat and drive. If nothing else, at least don’t stuff yourself with turkey and then drive. Turkey has high levels of sleep-inducing Tryptophan and the other carb-heavy Thanksgiving dishes won’t help either. Don’t hop in the car right after finishing your feast.
Are you planning on a road trip for Thanksgiving this year?
Current Chrysler Pacifica Available at Gossett CJDR Fiat
For decades, the idea of a self-driving car has only existed in science fiction. But, that fiction is quickly becoming reality with the help of Google and its fleet of autonomous vehicles. Recently, Google signed a deal with Chrysler to create of fleet of self-driving Pacifica minivans, and over a dozen were recently spotted in a parking garage in California.
The plug-in hybrid minivans were mounted with cameras and LIDAR sensors on the roofs. Looking at the pictures, you can see Google has made big strides in reducing the size of its equipment, especially the parts that get mounted on the roof. In addition, it looks like there are some sensors that are embedded into the front fenders.
These minivans were spotted right around the same time Google announced it is launching a new ride-sharing program focused on carpooling, and minivans sure are an ideal choice for carpooling. So, this could mean these self-driving Pacifica vans could be used for that program.
It is also interesting to note that Google chose the hybrid version of the Pacifica. When fully charged, it delivers up to 30 miles of all-electric range.
Here at Gossett Chrysler, we are interested to see how these self-driving minivans perform in real-world tests.
Happy Halloween from Gossett CJDR Fiat!
Haunted houses and trails are two classic spooky places where trick-or-treaters and Halloween lovers can go for a thrill. Memphis, Tennessee is home to a number of spectacular haunted houses and trails designed to scare you right out of your socks! Here are some of the best Memphis haunted houses and trails as suggested by us at Gossett CJDR Fiat!
- Haunted Web of Horrors – This haunted house is located in Cordova and is largely considered the best haunted house in and around Memphis. Visitors can experience three haunts in a single location. Doors have already opened for the season. Take a walk through Tormented, an insane institution; or Dark Matter, a 3D labyrinth full of unexpected scares, for just $12 each.
- Mid-South Haunted Maize – This spooky area is home to two separate attractions: a haunted maze and haunted hayride. Visitors can experience a fright in the corn maze or travel along a haunted hayride. Children’s activities take place during the day and this haunted area’s doors have been open since the end of September.
- Spooky Nights – This haunted attraction is held at Shelby Farms Park every weekend in October and boasts a whole host of events. Families can check out Zombie Laser Tag, Pumpkin Carving, and Spooky Food Trucks. The 4,500-acre park also features Memphis’ first haunted trail.
Chrysler 300 Interior
The modern world was content with 3G connectivity just a few years ago but now drivers and technology lovers have moved on to 4G LTE connectivity. Chrysler Fiat recognizes this; to meet driver expectations, Dodge and Chrysler vehicles will come stocked with 4G LTE connectivity. Drivers can expect a whole new experience behind the wheel of Fiat Chrysler vehicles come next year.
Soon, the 2017 Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger, and Chrysler 300 will lead the charge in the company’s next generation of connectivity. All three models will come with the fourth-generation Uconnect touchscreen infotainment system. Not all vehicles will be created equal though. Only those equipped with the 8.4-inch touchscreen will have access to the new 4G LTE connectivity.
3G connectivity has gradually been replaced over the past few years in exchange for faster internet connectivity. That connectivity allows drivers to access connected services within the car and slow connections can frustrate impatient drivers. The new 4G LTE connectivity will eliminate that problem and provide drivers with a streamlined process in the new Uconnect infotainment system.
Fiat Chrysler hasn’t revealed how much 4G LTE connectivity will cost or when it will spread to other models in the conglomerates lineup.
We at Gossett CJDR Fiat are happy to see great cars getting great connectivity options!
No automaker can survive without loyal fans, and as Jeep celebrates its 75th anniversary, the company is including Jeep owners in the festivities. Jeep started a year-long social media campaign to celebrate its major milestone and encouraged people around the world to tell their own stories back in March. Using the hashtag #myjeepstory, fans have been posting pictures and telling their own personal Jeep stories.
The social media campaign has brought in nearly 20,000 replies since it kicked off in March. Those still wishing to take part can do so through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or send in a direct submission.
Some submissions are photos of a muddy Jeep in the driveway, and an owner applying some elbow grease under the hood. Still, others are love letters to the off-road adventures owners have had behind the wheel of a Jeep.
Take Dan Grec for example. Grec is a modern day explorer currently traveling around Africa, a distance of about 80,000 miles. That’s no easy task and not many vehicles are durable enough to withstand the beating. Fortunately, Grec is behind the wheel of a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon that he modified for the adventure.
Other stories consist of family adventures, learning to drive, and tales of how Jeeps helped relationships push forward through thick and thin.
Here at Gossett CJDR, we’re proud to be a part of Jeep’s 75th anniversary!
What does a car’s torque mean? Most drivers know it has to do with power, but what does it actually mean?
Whether you’re new to the automotive industry or just passing through in your search for a new car, torque is incredibly important when it comes to performance. Most drivers tend to focus on horsepower when it comes to acceleration, but torque plays a major role in just how fast a car can go. Here’s a quick breakdown of what a car’s torque means.
At its very basic, torque causes a car to accelerate. A vehicle with higher torque will accelerate faster or, if necessary, while towing heavy loads. That’s why trucks with towing capabilities and high-performance cars often advertise high torque.
Larger engines produce more torque thanks to the increased amount of air flowing through the engine. That air is compressed in the combustion chambers with small amounts of fuel, resulting in a small explosion. That explosion generates horsepower and torque. While horsepower is how quickly a car can reach a certain speed, torque is what actually makes the car move.
Drivers interested in trucks and performance vehicles would do well to take note of both the vehicle’s horsepower and torque. The Dodge Challenger Hellcat, for example, brings 707 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque to the road. As a result, the Challenger Hellcat boasts a 0-to-60 mph time of just 3.6 seconds.
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat